Happy Monday Morning. Friday’s questions are here. The answers follow today’s Honor Roll.
- Karen Allen, Karen Allen Law
- Penny Benelli, Dakin & Benelli
- Alberto Bernabe, Professor, UIC School of Law
- Beth DeBernardi, Administrative Law Judge, Vermont Dept. of Labo
- Andy Delaney, Martin Delaney & Ricci
- Cary Dube, Bergeron Paradis & Fitzpatrick
- Erin Gilmore, Ryan Smith & Carbine
- Benjamin Gould, Paul Frank + Collins
- Harrison Gregoire, JD Candidate, Syracuse Law; Summer Intern, Gale & McCallister
- Robert Grundstein
- Keith Kasper, McCormick Fitzpatrick Kasper & Burchard
- John T. Leddy, McNeil Sheehan & Leddy
- Kevin Lumpkin, Sheehey Furlong & Behm
- Jack McCullough, Project Director, Mental Health Law Project, Vermont Legal Aid
- Jeff Messina, Messina Law
- Hal Miller, Hawaii Agency Underwriting Counsel, First American Title
- Team MOB
- Nikki Stevens, Firm Administrator, Langrock Sperry & Wool
- Jonathan Teller-Elsberg, Sheehey Furlong & Behm
- The Honorable John Valente, Vermont Superior Judge
- Jason Warfield, J.D.
According to the Rules of Professional Conduct, which of the 7 Cs of Legal Ethics is implicated when a lawyer provides “financial assistance to a client in connection with pending or contemplated litigation?”
Conflicts. The quote is from paragraph (e) of Rule 1.8 – Conflict of Interest – Current Clients – Specific Rules
Attorney called me with an inquiry. I listened, then responded:
“Be wary of disclosing too much. I think it’s best to cite to the specific provision of the rule that either requires it or allows it. Then, if the court asks for additional detail, provide it. I’ll send you a case from Tennessee in which a lawyer was publicly reprimanded for disclosing too much information in a motion, even though the trial court granted the motion.”
What did Attorney call to discuss? Filing ______
- A. a motion to withdraw. For more, see Stop Making Noise.
- B. an ex parte motion.
- C. a motion to disqualify the judge.
- D. a motion to disqualify opposing counsel.
There’s a rule that governs “pooled interest-bearing trust accounts.” Nobody I know calls such accounts by their formal name. Anyhow, what is a pooled interest-bearing trust account?
- A. unethical and prohibited by the rule.
- B. an account that’s better known as an “operating account.”
- C. an account that generates interest that a lawyer must remit to the client.
- D. an account that generates interest that a lawyer must remit to the Vermont Bar Foundation. Rule 1.15B – Pooled Interest-Bearing Trust Accounts
Later today, I’m presenting at the Defender General’s Annual Training. While I don’t plan to address this rule, there’s a rule that states that a criminal defense lawyer “may nevertheless so defend the proceeding as to require that every element of the case be established.” Generally, what does the rule prohibit?
- A. Representing a client at a trial in which the lawyer will be a necessary witness.
- B. Frivolous claims and contentions. Rule 3.1 – Meritorious Claims and Contentions
- C. Conflicts of Interest.
- D. False statements of material fact to a tribunal.
William Saxbe was born on June 24, 1916. He was a lawyer who served as Ohio’s Attorney General, a United States Senator, and United States Attorney General.
In 1966, while serving as Ohio Attorney General, Saxbe argued before the United States Supreme Court. The case involved Sam Sheppard, a doctor who had been convicted of murdering his wife. The US Supreme Court reversed the conviction, citing, among other things, a “carnival atmosphere” that had permeated the trial and the trial judge’s bias against the defendant. In a retrial, Dr. Sheppard was acquitted.
In the U.S. Supreme Court and at the retrial, Dr. Sheppard was represented by a well-known lawyer who has since been disbarred. During the retrial, the lawyer argued that the prosecution’s case was “ten pounds of hogwash in a 5-pound bag.”
The case inspired a novel and a hit movie starring Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones.
Name the movie and the now disbarred lawyer who represented Dr. Sheppard.
The Fugitive & F. Lee Bailey