Welcome to Friday and the 261st legal ethics quiz!
- Open book, open search engine, text-a-friend.
- Exception: Question 5. We try to play that one honest.
- Unless stated otherwise, the Vermont Rules of Professional Conduct apply
- Team entries welcome, creative team names even more welcome.
- E-mail answers to email@example.com
- I’ll post the answers & Honor Roll on Monday
- Please don’t use the “comment” feature to post your answers
- Please consider sharing the quiz with friends & colleagues
- Share on social media. Hashtag it – #fiveforfriday
Which of the 7 Cs of Legal Ethics refers specifically to funds & property?
Lawyer called me with an inquiry. I listened, then responded “one of the situations that requires it is when continued representation will result in a violation of the Rules of Professional Conduct.”
Given my response, what does “it” refer to? Whether Lawyer must _______:
- A. self-report to Disciplinary Counsel.
- B. disclose confidential information over a client’s objection.
- C. withdraw from representing a client.
- D. put Lawyer’s malpractice insurance carrier on notice of a potential claim.
Attorney represented Client. At the outset of the relationship, Client advanced a fee that Attorney deposited into trust and billed against. When the matter resolved, Client was so pleased that Client lauded Attorney’s virtues in a public comment posted to Attorney’s firm’s social media platforms.
What do the rules require Attorney to keep for 6 years?
- A. Client’s confidences and secrets.
- B. Records of funds held on behalf of Client.
- C. A “copy” of the comment on the social media platforms because it is an “advertisement.”
- D. A copy of Client’s file.
There are two types of cases in which a contingent fee is prohibited. Name them.
Shout out to my friend Brad Martin!
Earlier this week, the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences continued its embarrassing tradition of snubbing Better Call Saul. Yet again, the show did not receive a single Primetime Emmy. In protest, and because Jimmy McGill/Saul Goodman and Kim Wexler are my favorite ethically challenged fictional lawyers, I’m devoting Question 5 to the show for the second time in three quizzes.
Doing so is quite timely. Tomorrow is ___________ Day. The word that properly fills in the blank is very much a part of the legal profession. It’s also the answer to this question:
In both Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad, what’s on the wallpaper in Saul’s office?
Here’s a hint that might help people who have never seen the show.
Today is September 16. On this day in 1830, Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr. (father of Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.) wrote a poem. The poem is widely considered to have saved a US Naval vessel from being decommissioned. The vessel, which is now the oldest commissioned ship in the navy, is named after the answer to Question 5.