A phrase that’s new to me has entered the public discourse in the past 24 hours: “social distancing.” Coincidentally, shortly after hearing it for the first time, I stumbled across a tweet that’s the impetus for today’s post. Here’s the backstory.
Brian Cuban is an attorney. To me, he’s an invaluable resource on addiction, recovery and the legal profession’s response to each. You can read more about Brian here. I follow Brian on Twitter.
Today, Brian retweeted a link to a blog he posted last December. Check out the comment that accompanied the retweet — it references “social distancing.”
The December post is one that I’d missed. In it, Brian introduced his readers to the “Lawyers Depression Project.” In Brian’s words, it’s a project that is “an incredible mental health resource that has been flying under the radar.”
Some of you might be thinking “Thanks Mike. But this isn’t for me. It’s for people who’ve been diagnosed with depression.”
And now you’ve forced me to resort to a block quote. From Brian’s post:
- “The LDP consists of attorneys, law students, law school graduates pending bar exam results and/or admission, and others in the legal field who were diagnosed at one point or another in their lives, with major depression, bipolar disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, general anxiety disorder, or another mental illness.
“It is also for those who are suffering but not formally diagnosed or who simply feel that something ‘isn’t right’ but have not sought formal mental health help.”
Check it out. Even if only because, every now and then, things don’t feel right.
- Wellness & The New CLE Rules
- Wellness Wednesday: Pro Bono Award Recipients
- The proposed Bar Assistance Program
- Why I support the proposed Bar Assistance Program
- Wellness Wednesday: Meet Parker Riehle
- Mentoring: It’s a chance to be the change we hope to see in the profession
- Wellness Wednesday: Legal Acts of Kindness
- Wellness Wednesday: No Objection to “no, thank you”
- Wellness Wednesday: Unplug
- Wellness Wednesday: Judge McCaffrey Redux
- Wellness Wednesday: Baseball & Civility
- Wellness Wednesday: Meet Alison, Shireen, Samantha, and Alison
- Wellness Wednesday: Understand the Risks, Know the Responses
- Wellness Wednesday: Meet Molly Gray
- Meet Jeff Messina
- Meet Andrew Manitsky
- Wellness Wednesday: Meet Heather Moreau
- Scott Mapes, The World Cup, and Soccer
- Elizabeth Kruska, Wesley Lawrence, and horse racing
- Lawyers & judges who run marathons
- Meet Jennifer O’Connor