Good morning! Welcome to Monday!
Friday’s questions are here. The answers follow today’s honor roll.
- Penny Benelli, Dakin & Benelli
- Andrew Delaney, Martin & Associates
- Cary Dube, Bergeron, Pardis, Fitzpatrick
- Bob Grundstein, Esq.
- Anthony Iarrapino, Wilschek & Iarrapino
- Glenn Jarrett, Jarrett & Luitjens
- Keith Kasper, McCormick, Fitzpatrick, Kasper & Burchard
- Jeanne Kennedy, First Mother
- Jordana Levine, Marsicovetere & Levine
- Kevin Lumpkin, Sheehey Furlong & Behm
- Joshua Martin, Green Mountain Legal
- Hal Miller, First American
- Lon McClintock, McClintock Law Offices
- Jeff Messina, Bergeron Paradis Fitzpatrick
- Robyn Sweet, CORE Registered Paralegal, Cleary Shahi & Aicher
Two things are missing from this list. What are they?
- free speech
- free exercise of religion
- right to petition the government for the redress of grievances
- no establishment of religion
The language is from the First Amendment. The missing items are: freedom of the press, and right to peaceably assemble.
Which came first?
- A. Voting age lowered to 18 (1971)
- B. Prohibition repealed (1933)
- C. Women given the right to vote – 1920
In October, the VBA’s Pro Bono Conference will include a “TED-Talk” on due process & municipal boards. The phrase “due process” appears in two amendments. Which two?
- A. 1st and 5th
- B. 5th and 8th
- C. 5th and 14th
- D. 8th and 14th
Delaware was the 1st state to ratify the Constitution. Very recently, and in response to a U.S. Supreme Court decision that involves states’ rights, Delaware became the 2nd state to allow what?
Question 5 & Bonus
Thaddeus Stevens was born in Vermont. He practiced law in Pennsylvania and, eventually, was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives. In Congress, Stevens played a critical role in the drafting & passage of what has been called both a “mini-Constitution” and the Constitution’s most important amendment.
Which amendment? And, who played Stevens in the movie Lincoln?
The 14th Amendment. Last year, the ABA Journal posted: The 14th. A Civil War era amendment has become a mini-constitution for modern times. For a bit on Stevens’ involvement, see this morning’s postthis morning’s post from Lancaster Online.
Tommy Lee Jones