Welcome to #72!
I like to ease into the #fiveforfriday columns with blurbs related to the week’s number.
Math fascinates me. More specifically, I’m fascinated by my utter lack of understanding of math. Like some (many?) of you, that’s why I went to law school. But here’s one that even a lawyer can understand.
It gives me great joy to tell you that 72 is a Harshad Number!
A Harshad Number is a number that is divisible by the sum of its digits. So, in this case, 72 is a Harshad Number because it is divisble by (7+2).
For you lawyer/poli sci majors, that means that 72 is divisible by 9, with 9 being the sum of 7 & 2.
For you lawyer/history majors, that means “the answer is 8.”
Onto the quiz!
- There are none. It’s open book, open search engine, use whatever resource you have. Reading the rules is a good thing!
- Exception: Question 5. We try to play that one honest.
- Team entries welcome. Creative team names encouraged.
- Unless stated otherwise, the Vermont Rules of Professional Conduct apply
- Please e-mail answers to email@example.com
- Please do not use the “comment” feature to submit your answers (competence includes tech competence)
- I will post the answers Monday, along with the week’s Honor Roll
- Please consider sharing the quiz with friends
- Hashtag & share: #fiveforfriday
Attorney called me with an inquiry. I listened. Then, I asked:
- “Is the new case the same as or substantially related to the old one?”
What general area of legal ethics did Attorney call to discuss?
- A. Solicitation
- B. File Retention
- C. Conflicts of Interest
- D. Fee Agreements
Which does not belong?
- A. The client agreed
- B. The result obtained
- C. The lawyer’s experience, reputation, and ability
- D. The skill requiste to peform the service properly
A law firm deposited its own own money into its trust account. Which is most accurate?
- A. Each lawyer in the firm violated the Rules of Professional Conduct
- B. The firm’s partners (or equivalent thereof) violated the Rules of Professional Conduct
- C. It depends whether the deposit exceeded $1000
- D. It depends whether the deposit was in an amount reasonably necessary to pay bank charges to the account
Question 4 (Fill in the blank)
Lawyer called me with an inquiry. I listened. Then, I said
“As of now, there’s no duty to ____________ routine electronic client communications. But, it won’t be long until the failure to do so is deemed ‘unreasonable’.”
This week’s question 5 is dedicated to a long-time reader.
John Luther Long was born on New Year’s Day in 1861. He was admitted to the Philadelphia Bar in 1881.
I have no idea if Attorney Long was a competent or ethical lawyer. However, it seems that he was a competent writer.
In 1898, Attorney Long published a short story about a journey of U.S. Naval Officer Benjamin Franklin Pinkerton. The story caught the attention of Giacomo Puccini. In turn, Puccini wrote an opera based on Attorney Long’s story.
Puccini’s opera is one of the most famous operas of the 20th century.
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to identify the short story/opera.