Here’s the latest scam to target real estate practitioners and their clients.
- Lender forwarded to Law Firm a request for a title search and for representation of Buyer at closing.
- Two days later, Buyer received a call from someone purporting to be from Law Firm.
- Caller had the address of the property, Realtor’s name, and other pertinent information.
- Caller told Buyer that Law Firm required a prepayment of $500.00 to commence work.
- Buyer gave Caller a credit card number and authorized a charge of $500.
It was a fraud. Someone’s email had been hacked – either Law Firm’s, Lender’s, Buyer’s or Realtor’s.
Law Firm now includes in its engagement letter language indicating that it WILL NOT ask for credit card info over the phone.
Remember Sergeant Phil: